Chennai Super Kings : IPL4 Champions
Chennai Super Kings (CSK) are Indian Premier League (IPL) champions yet again. They had beaten Mumbai Indians in IPL3 in 2010 and now they have beaten Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) this year in IPL4.
Consecutive victory for MS Dhoni too, in IPL3, ICC World Cup 2011 and now in IPL4.
CSK scored massive 205/5 with magnificent inning from Murli Vijay scoring 95 runs in just 52 balls hitting 4 fours and 6 huge sixes at the final held at MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, against RCB.
RCB came on to bat with vigour to try and beat the massive score by CSK. Needing 206 to win RCB required the efforts of Chris Gayle to deliver his high scoring hits. Chris Gayle and Mayank Agarwal started the batting for RCB with Ravichandran Ashwin bowling from CSK.
Everyone from RCB was stunned when Gayle was out for a duck, scoring zero.
RCB could only manage 147/8 in allotted 20 overs, short by 58 runs and thus lost the match.
Man of the Match Murali Vijay paid tributes to his team and said:
This is a special unit to be a part of.
After the hectic schedule of WC and then IPL, Dhoni, not going to West Indies, said:
For the last four months I have not gone home. So I will now go to Ranchi and take rest.
IPL 4 Awards
- RCB opening batsman Chris Gayle won the Orange Cap for maximum runs in the tournament – 608 from 12 matches
- Mumbai Indians’ fast bowler Lasith Malinga got the Purple Cap for most wickets – 28 from 16 matches.
- Mumbai Indians’ player Kieron Pollard was awarded for taking most catches in the tournament
- Kings XI Punjab batsman Paul Valthaty was handed the award for the Best Individual Performance in IPL4 for his 120 against Chennai.
- Kolkata Knight Riders’ bowler Iqbal Abdulla was adjudged rising star of the year.
- Punjab Cricket Association won the award for the best pitch and outfield.
Highlights of the match